Tuesday, April 18, 2017
Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Trip back from Tassie was great. And timing was like a logistical masterpiece. When travelling from Wineglass Bay to Edistone Point we identified that the fresh waster cooling pump on the motor had blown a bearing. You can run a motor like this for some time, as long as you can put up with the noise it makes. However it will eventually seize causing a bigger repair job than if repaired immediately.
We explored options like going to the nearest port (Beauty Point, 80 miles away) where we could get the necessary parts for the repair, etc but in the end we decided to head for home immediately so as to take advantage of the steady sou'easterly already blowing. This would also allow up to travel thru the notorious Banks Straight with favourable tide and wind.
This turned out to be a good decision. We had favourable wind for the whole trip. As I write, Bass Strait is a millpond.
The wind for the 230 mile passage did as predicted, moving from SE to East averaging 15 to 20 knots and stayed under 30.
As it turned out we arrived at the Rip again with favourable flood tide and came straight in at 0330 along with the Spirit of Tasmania ferry and a couple of commercial ships, this along with pilot boat has the lady on duty at Lonsdale VTS (the Port Phillip Shipping Control and Communications authority) say to us when we called, in "it was to be a busy night even with out us coming thru the entrance as well"
As with the trip with Ryan on Peregrine from Eden a couple of years ago our crossing coincided the the Tassi Ferry. I didn't get to take a photo this time, or give them a way as they passed 100 meters away, as the staysail clew decided this would be a good time to blow away, and i was on the bow tying it down. Must have looked a bit special for those who were up on the ferry. I recall not just a few photos being taken.
So here ends another great sailing adventure. This time the boat was Bundaberg, John Kint, the owner and skipper, David and Kieren - crew mates and great company and chef/cooks to-boot.
Saturday, April 1, 2017
Friday, March 31, 2017
Got up thismorning at our anchorage in Bryan's Corner, just prior to the wind going a tad south of West so up anchor and across from the mainland to look at our previous nights anchorage at Crockett Bay on Schouten Island. Not too hot there either, so set a jib and off thru Schouten Passage to Wineglass Bay with 20 knots gusting to 30 on our back quarter. Nice to be sailing. We arrived to see a beautiful aluminium yacht, Rickie Tai which coincidently John had taken a serious look at 2 months ago with the view to buy. French yacht built along the lines of the around the world single handers. Cost $1m. Asking price was $300,000. I detected a tear in John's eye as she upanchored and shot away under a reefed main alone.
Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone